Then you’re probably scratching your beard right now wondering, “Geez, why is my beard so itchy?”
If you’re not using beard oil, you’ve found your answer.
Is Beard Oil Necessary?I get asked the question “Is beard oil necessary?” when friends first start growing out their beards. Being skeptical is understandable. Some beards seem relatively fine on their own, so what’s the point of adding a new grooming product to your routine?
I usually follow up their question with one of my own: “Why do you wash, style and trim your hair?” This is the point where they usually look at me, dumbfounded, as if the answer is obvious, and it is. You do this because your hair is a living organism that craves love and attention in the form of nourishment.
Beards crave the same thing. And, if anything, they deserve more love. Beard hair isn’t exactly like the hair on your head. Beards are rougher, drier, and take longer to grow. The skin underneath can also get irritated, causing you to itch or shed, otherwise known as the dreaded “beardruff.”
Needless to say, beards need a little more care to keep them looking presentable. This is why you should always look for beard specific products when you are ready to groom your beard.
Growing a beard and maintaining a beard are two different beasts. The purpose of beard oil is to keep your beard and skin properly nourished, ensuring your beard stays healthy and grows thicker.
The best beard oils are jam-packed with nutrients that lock in moisture for the beard and actively moisturizes and protects the skin underneath it from harmful toxins. When your skin is properly nourished and protected, hair follicles thrive, resulting in a longer and thicker beard - something every bearded man dreams of.
How to Use Beard OilIt clear that beard oil has many benefits. Luckily, it’s really easy to use! Routines vary from one beardsman to the next, but there are basic steps you should follow when using beard oil.
- Wash your beard every couple of days with a beard soap made from natural ingredients. If your beard is extra dry (and can handle it), you can even wash your beard every day. But if you do, you need to make sure your beard soap is free from all harsh chemicals. Protect that pretty face of yours! After washing your beard, dry it softly with a towel until it is only damp and no longer dripping wet.
- Start with a few drops of beard oil and work your way up depending on the length and density of your beard. But keep in mind that you often only need a small amount (the size of a nickel up to a quarter) to get the job done.
- Spread the oil evenly across your hands and fingers, then work it through your beard. Reach down to your skin and pull out to the tips. The aim is to ensure the oil is evenly distributed. Don’t be afraid to really get into the thick of your beard and ensure the skin gets a dose of this good stuff! Start from the root of the follicle for maximum benefit.
- Use a wood comb to detangle and begin to shape your beard. You can also use a beard brush after combing to give it a little more hold.
- Reapply the beard oil as many times as is necessary throughout the day.
How Often Should You Use Beard Oil?
Since every man’s beard is different, only you will ultimately know how often you need to reapply. A general rule of thumb is to use the oil at least once every day. If your beard is extra dry and coarse like mine, use it twice a day – once in the morning and again in the late afternoon/early evening. If you’re using it multiple times a day, there is no need to wash your beard in-between applications.
Your Beard is Your FaceA beard can make a huge difference to your appearance so pay close attention to what you put in your beard and how you groom it. All beards are a little rugged and that may be what most beardsmen are going for. But there is a difference between rugged and rough. You don’t want to look rough.
If you have a beard, short or long, beard oil is a necessary step in your routine. Using beard oil will help you achieve the look you’re going for and get your beard under control. Just oil, style, and go.
If you’re just starting to use beard oil for the first time, it can take a few days to start seeing the maximum results you are looking for. But keep at it because in no time you’ll have a beard worth bragging about and showing off!
Tame Your Beard & Protect the WildernessAs you set out to make your beard healthier and better-looking, consider directing the same enthusiasm towards making the world a better place.
Here at Lucky Beard, we have a dual mission – to make your beard happy and to help protect our national parks. Whether you buy our Australian Sandalwood, Bergamot & Black Pepper, or Original Blend, 5% of the proceeds are donated directly to the National Park Foundation, ensuring the protection of these treasured landscapes for generations to come.